Landscaping Operations Manager - Poughkeepsie, NY
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Position is responsible for managing all field operations within the division. Coordinates the procurement and scheduled use of resources, including labor, equipment and materials to ensure maximum use and completion of work within budget, safety guidelines and quality standards.
Promotes the growth and development of field staff and assists them in carrying out their responsibilities as needed. Coordinates use of resources within other divisions and lends support to operational activities for the entire Company. Prospecting new customers, proposing, executing sales and operational goals.
- Manages and schedules labor, equipment and material to accomplish production schedules within established budgets. Maintains strict adherence to established schedules and budgets.
- Understand contract specifications and ensures they are met and maintains customers complete satisfaction.
- Provide most recent plans and/or documents to field staff at the beginning of the day and provide instruction to ensure Crew Leader and crew are prepared to complete the job
- Ensures all work is completed in adherence to safety policies and guidelines. Conducts weekly safety training and safety inspections on job-sites.
- Investigates any accident or safety violation, prepares appropriate reports, takes action steps to correct and prevent future occurrences. Defines and implements solutions to reoccurring accidents or most common hazards.
- Maintains proper inventory of materials, equipment and other supplies are on hand to complete production activities.
- Order materials, equipment and supplies as needed within purchasing limits.
- Supervise employees, keeping attendance records, enforcing proper uniform and safety equipment use, and approving time cards.
- Overall human resource management of field staff within division. Includes hiring, firing, training, coaching, mentoring and developing staff to reach potential and established goals for the individual and division. Identify and develop Crew Leaders.
- Maintains enough staff to accomplish production schedules and analyzes future needs, forecasting staff and material needs to complete future jobs.
- Conducts timely performance reviews of direct reports and take corrective actions when appropriate.
- Coordinate the use of labor, equipment, materials and other resources with other divisions as needed.
- Obtain utility locates on needed properties 48 hours prior to beginning a work. Update as needed.
- Visit job sites on a regular basis, observing organization of work, identifying and resolving training issues, and taking necessary actions to ensure quality.
- Respond to customer complaints ensuring proper handling to achieve excellent customer satisfaction.
- Maintain day-to-day working knowledge of all contracts in progress, including field completion status, billings to-date and progress payments.
- Maintains costs within all assigned budgets.
- Monitors job costs weekly and immediately reports to Division Manager any jobs deviating from budgets of time, schedule, cost or any other factor so appropriates adjustments can be made to maximize end result.
- Makes recommendation regarding qualifying or disqualifying warranty work. Coordinates completion of warranty work per contract and/or instructions on Division Manager.
- Maintain a high level of good housekeeping and care of company assets in the field, vehicles, shop, field offices and customer work-sites.
- Stay aware of Best Practices. Develop and recommend improved work methods and standards.
- Plan and prepare routing, staffing, and materials for specific snow removal sites
- Route staff and equipment for snow removal
- Provide quality assurance of snow removal process by checking random properties whenever possible and observing work of crews.
- Maintain appropriate inventories of salt, sand, magnesium for treating properties
- Provide training in snow removal technique of plows, spreaders, backhoes and walk behinds for unskilled staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture/Turf Management and/or 3-5 years directly relevant experience.
- 3 years supervisory experience.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge of computer applications (Microsoft Office Suite, desired).
- NYS Driver’s license in good working condition
KEY PERFORMANCE METRICS:
- Revenue growth
- Employee retention
- Retention of contracts and customers
- Performance to budget
- Safety record